Friday, July 15, 2011

Medical exam!

Went for it on Tuesday (12 July) so that I can go on the detachment with BF. :)

I was pleasantly surprised when the medic managed to draw blood at the first stab (I had been vigorously pumping my arm with a bag of drinks beforehand) but because my veins are so tiny the flow kept stopping with every pull of the syringe.. So what ended up happening was a little jab further in every few seconds. The medic was being very careful though, I could feel his hands trembling because he was trying hard not to hurt me.

The vaccinator (new term eh!) was nice too! He carefully explained all the stuff I was going to get, what could be the side effects and then did the injections very painlessly. Most of the pain I felt was purely from the volume injected. In fact the pain lasted till today, but it's almost gone now!

All in all I would say they were extremely well-trained for such little experience (the blood tester told me he's only been here for 3 months) and very caring guys.

------------

So why did I do a blog entry about such a mundane subject?

I really really wanted to compliment these young boys for doing such a good job, in fact I would have written in to compliment them if I had remembered to get their names. :( Unfortunately it was early in the morning so my brain hadn't really woken up yet.

Seriously that was the least painful blood test even compared to qualified doctors/nurses who are stabbing people all the time, non-stop! And also very quick and painless injections done even though I had 3 simultaneously done, as compared to some (I'm guessing non-qualified) doctors who manage to make me hurt for more than a month!

Aside from the skill, their attitudes were also really good, being very patient with all my nonsense questions, checking everything thoroughly with the doctor before proceeding and explaining everything properly before we started. And as mentioned above they really put in the effort to be good at what they do.

------------

I can't help but wonder at the difference in the behaviour of young Singaporeans like those guys and the ones I meet outside. And they say youths are the rude ones?

No comments: