Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cafe Epicurious

After reading the rave reviews about their all-day breakfasts and affordability, I found out that they had an outlet near me at the Rail Mall and decided to give it a try....
MEGA FAIL.

Was pretty peckish so BF and me both decided to have the Full Monty sets.
I guess maybe I've been spoilt by hotel room service breakfast sets but this was definitely not worth the trip, time and money.

For $22 you get: toast, 3 eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, half a tomato, baked beans, orange juice and tea/coffee. Sounds pretty good right?

The eggs I had sunny-side up and BF had scrambled and were probably the only okay items in the set, and not even better than what I can produce in the kitchen myself (and I am no regular in there!).

His scrambled eggs were extremely normal and not salty enough, much like the fast food breakfast type except we were not given seasonings on the table.
My sunny-side ups were a little uncooked on the top (Salmonella anyone??) but I still ate it anyway because I was hungry.

Bacon was streaky bacon terribly cooked, not crispy at all, pretty flat and soggy. Some of it landed in the baked beans which I hate because I don't like my food to mix!

Sausages were terrible. Tasteless little pieces of things fried in too much oil..
Never had such terrible tasting sausages before in my life.

Mushrooms were tasteless and just... slightly charred without seasoning.

Grilled tomato was sour and unseasoned. I've had better even though tomatoes aren't my favourite but I've raved about some at other restaurants.

The baked beans were probably okay because you can't really screw up canned baked beans right?

The orange juice at least was freshly squeezed and reasonably nice but the tea was weak and tasteless.

----------------

You know sometimes service and ambience can sometimes rescue a place if their food wasn't so great?

Nada for Cafe Epicurious.

Ambience was terrible. It was okay when I got in at first then later on larger groups of people came in and it became squeezy and terribly noisy with uncontrolled kids shouting and making noise.

Service? I've seen other reviews that stated service was good.
Well in fact actually service was good... only initally.

I had intended to stay a little longer after my meal to relax (my intended time of stay was maybe 5-10 minutes) but I hadn't even finished my tea before some larger groups of customers needed some seats (there were other empty chairs around) and the staff started hassling us with the bill.
Anyway after the group with the kids came in and sat next to us I was already preparing to go.

It's just unfair that they serve families, groups and people older than us with more respect and give them better treatment.
Isn't my money of the same value as theirs?
I get this problem at most places in Singapore, not only at this food outlet so I'm pretty pissed off by now.

----------------

I finished off my meal with dessert at another restaurant nearby with MUCH better service and ambience.. The dessert wasn't too bad too.

Judge for yourself if you ever want to be tricked by reviewers and go there for a disappointing experience like me.

No comments: