Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day out with the English Royal Family: Part II

12 September

The English Royal Family came out to Singapore once again, because the Queen felt guilty that all my 'shopping time' was taken up by her the other day.

She wanted to go back to the shop to exchange some clothes, so we had to make lunch somewhere around Jurong again. Also, we had to compromise on Chinese food for lunch and Western for dinner, because the Queen likes the former and the Princess (ME, lah!) likes the latter! :)

With these criterion in mind, that led us to lunch at...

*****

Ah Yat at somewhere in Jurong. I don't know where cuz I'm such a klutz at directions, I think its somewhere near Boon Lay though.

(I think there is also a branch at Turf City, but DON'T GO THERE because the service sucks ass. But it sucks ass because there's no service charge (10%) so if you can stand shit service, go right ahead cuz the food isn't too bad there.)

Our quick eye for cheap and good food quickly decided us on a Superior Lunch Set Meal (or something along the lines, the "normal" set lunch is also good actually).

First Course:

Photobucket

Shark fin soup with a LOT of shark fin and beansprouts.

Seriously I've never seen such a big lump of shark fin before in my life. This place has some serious good stuff in its meals!

(Sorry, no more pictures after this course because... you'll know when you see it!!)

Second course:

GIANT FRESH Scallop in barbeque sauce!!!!!!!

It sounds like the barbeque sauce will drown out the taste of the scallop, but no! It was awesomely subtle yet barbeque-y and perfect with the scallop. And the scallop was so big it could have been the size of my wrist. (I have a small 5-inch around wrist.)

Third course:

*plays Jaws music in the background*

WHOLE abalone with broccoli and mushroom!!!

This is so common that it's self-explanatory. And of course the abalone was a small one lah. But still bigger than the scallop, though not as yummy.

Fourth course:

Fried noodles.

Blah. Skipped this. I was stuffed already, and I hate Chinese fried noodles. No matter how good the restaurant is, THIS NEVER TASTES GOOD.

Fifth course:

Red bean soup.

Blah. Skipped this. I don't take red bean soup.


That's the end of our five course set lunch, and with all those expensive ingredients inside it, it only cost about $39 per person. Good food, good price! :)

*****

The Queen dragged us back to that shop to exchange her items, and WENT TO TRY SHITLOADS OF CLOTHES AGAIN. Fortunately, they hadn't had any new stock in yet (it was a space of 2 days), so she got 2 new dresses and I took another blouse to fill up the difference.

*****

We then hit Orchard (the King DID say shopping place of my choice), actually we hit Ngee Ann City because I didn't want to drag two tired 50-year-olds around Orchard Road.

My loot? A Guess bag that I have been lusting over ever since I saw it in a magazine while doing my hair!!!!

Bah, I can't seem to find the picture online but I'll post it up sometime!

It cost about $250 but the King says it's to compensate me for not having a holiday trip overseas this vacation. :D

I didn't see anything else of interest so we headed to Art Friends where the Queen spent more than an hour buying a wood varnish. *gesture of despair*

I waited in the shop until my shoulder was aching from my bag so I spent some time outside on a bench catching up with my iTouch. :)

*****

We headed to Petals for dinner without making a reservation (due to the King's overconfidence); big mistake. The place was full to the brim and overflowing, so we had to make alternative plans on a CROWDED SATURDAY NIGHT.

We ended up, on my suggestion, at Suntec for Tony Romas, because stupid me thought COMEX was being held at Expo and not Suntec, to the Queen's chagrin.

There was a queue outside Tony Romas, where we took our places while quietly shaking our fists at the King behind his back.

Fortunately, the line moved fast and we got a shit table somewhere near the entrance.

We were so hungry by then that all we wanted was food, and here it is:

Photobucket

Honey ribs with beef, almost completely eaten up before I remembered to take a photo.

Photobucket

The two sets we ordered.
Honey ribs with beef set, smoky ribs with BBQ chicken set, with sides of mashed potato, fries, baked potato, and a jug of coke.

We chomped, we munched, and it was all gone within a few minutes.
The beef was the King's personal favourite, the Queen adored the honey ribs, while I just munched my way through everything cuz it was alllll good. :)

Total cost: I think it was around $80 or less. Super yummy at a great price!

*****

We were all stuffed so full we could hardly waddle our way back to the car; again it had been a long day and they sent me straight back home into the arms of SuperCherry. :)

No comments: