Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The People Around Me Part II: The Chinese Imperial Family

Strange sounding title? The reason behind it is because my immediate family is rather like some ancient chinese imperial family without all the fame, money and whatever else. For some reason each family member can be related to this.

This idea started from what I thought of my father some time ago. Instead of being a very normal (I can't define normal, just average loving daddy type) father, whenever he demanded for me to go to him it always sounded like the Emperor issued an Imperial Edict for me to go to see him or else my head would be chopped off. Get the idea?

Let's start from my father. Apart from the Imperial Edict, he also gets the first priority for everything in the house. From 6.30pm till he arrives home, the master bedroom toilet is off-limits even if the other toilet is occupied and the shit is going to explode from your ass soon. (Okay I am exaggerating a little, if your shit is about to explode from your ass you're allowed to do it in the loo instead of messing up the hall cuz otherwise the Empress is gonna go after you until you clean it up.) He also gets the Throne at the dining table which is the prime seat to watch the television from while eating while the rest of us see half the screen or screw our necks around to see 1/10 of the screen while trying to eat. He has a Concubine (First-Rank), and he spends 99% of the time home, apart from the daily 8 hours of sleep, with 'her'. He does everything he can to please the Concubine while the rest of his family is there at his beck and call or risk facing his wrath.

My mother is the above mentioned Empress. She does not need to do any work save for keeping the Emperor happy, keeping the Palace and making sure he doesn't give the command to execute other family members in a fit of rage. She leads a boring life and spends most of her time on the computer or watching television because her Emperor is busy staring at his Concubine.

Photobucket

The Emperor on a hotel Throne and the Empress behind him.

My eldest brother could be likened to a Prince who is also the Army Commander. Why so? Because he is not very close to the Emperor but the Emperor has to listen to him sometimes anyway. He is the highest ranking amongst the other siblings and is one of the most powerful. His rage even outdoes the Emperor's! He is also the most trained in martial arts of the three siblings and has trained in the use of nunchakus, sai, katana/wakizashi as well as Taekwondo and many other martial arts. Perhaps because of this, his demeanour is rather unapproachable even though he looks good and is of a kind heart.

My second brother is definitely the Crown Prince. The favourite of the Emperor, his every word is taken with great seriousness and approval of the Emperor. He is granted almost every request (he knows how far to go) and is handsome as well as charismatic. Girls are greatly taken with his appearance, however he is currently attached as well as a proud father of a beautiful baby girl (Little Princess Jeanelle).

Lastly comes me... I stand somewhere between Princess (to the Empress) and Factory Worker (to the Emperor). I neither get everything I want (although I do get most of it) nor do I do a lot of work, but since I'm the only one left staying with the Emperor and the Empress, I'm the one who faces most of the Emperor's wrath along with the Empress.

Photobucket

The Prince, Princess and Crown Prince. Ok I know I'm damn fugly here but this is the only photo we've taken together that is postable and this was 2007 so leave me alone T_T

Of course, there must be some curiosity by now about the Concubine. Do not be mistaken, "she" is actually the AQUARIUM residing in the balcony of the Palace. The Emperor does everything he can to keep 'her' hale, hearty and happy, which includes changing the water every weekend and off day (twice a week) by lugging pails and pails of water non stop for hours on end, buying calcium to keep the corals healthy and beautiful, and then the rest of the time sitting in front of 'her' staring at the beauty he turned 'her' into. Don't all Emperors pay more attention to their Concubines rather than their family? Lucky this Concubine can't talk, or else if she asked for my execution I am pretty sure she'd get her wish granted.

No comments: